Polenta is part of the gastronomic tradition Italian since the time of the Roman Empire. Made from boiled flour is an inexpensive resource with which to accompany many dishes. Use it as a garnish is in fact, its most common use but today we go a step further.
Once cooked the polenta can be allowed to cool to create blocks as we do today in this recipe of polenta bars and smoked cheese. Once cut into portions we can roast or fry these achieving a crispy texture on the outside and tender inside.
It is customary to incorporate ingredients such as cheese or spices to help give it both creaminess and flavor. So we have done it to achieve a perfect snack for a casual lunch or dinner with friends. Serve it with a spicy tomato sauce and you will succeed! Do you dare to prepare them?
Ingredients (20 bars)
- 380 ml. vegetable broth
- 60 g. instant polenta
- 20 g. butter
- 50 g. of cured smoked cheese, shredded
- Black pepper
- Flour for batter
- Extra virgin olive oil
Step by step
- Start lining a mould of 20×20 cm. with cling film.
- In a saucepan put the vegetable broth and bring it to a boil. Then, pour the polenta and cook 6 or 7 minutes over medium heat, stirring the mixture continuously with a rod or spoon until thick. Read the manufacturer’s recommendations – they all do not have to cook the same.
- Then remove the polenta from heat and add butter, cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated, test and correct the salt point if necessary.
- Pour the dough into the mold, smooth the surface and cover with film, so that it touches the surface of the dough. Let warm for half an hour and then take to the fridge for an hour more.
- Then take the block out of the fridge and cut it into bars 7×1,5 cm more or less.
- Flour the bars and fry them in hot oil for batches until they are well browned (2-3 minutes on each side). Do not cold many at once; if the oil temperature drops the dough will fall apart.
- As you take them out of the pan place the bars on Absorbent paper
- Serve polenta and cheese bars with spicy tomato sauceor other sauce of your taste.