If you still don’t know what the Wim Hof methodis, be sure to read these lines to know what it is. It is a method developed by the Dutch of the same name, known as the ‘ice man’, and this is due to its high capacity of resistance to very low extremes.
Thanks to this method, its creator claims to be able to control the ability to control their own nervous system and the immune response of his organism, which has greatly increased the intrigue of scientists.
Wim Hof with its ‘superpower’ manages to carry out real feats, such as immersing yourself in ice water for hours without just immuting, or watching your body thermostat vary, or running through the desert without consuming water.
Wim Hof method, what does it consist of?
Before we go deeper into the method we tell you a little what are the background. In 1995, unfortunately, the woman Wim Hof committed suicide after suffering a psychotic crisis, from that moment on, Hof was left in charge of her entire relative, four son who required her attention, and set out to show the world that the will of the human being can with everything as long as he is trained in the best way, even that will is able to control our body and mind.
Its methodology seeks to make people happier, stronger and healthier, and must be achieved through a new connection between them and nature. If this new connection is achieved, it will be possible to stimulate the deeper processes that will allow control over the human body to reach its full potential, and thus, achieve incredible feats.
What is it?
Wim Hof is a natural method to improve the health and well-being of humans as it combines specific breathing techniques, along with extreme cold exposure, meditation and physical exercises. To better clarify the technique, we tell you below what are its three fundamental pillars:
- Cold therapy: According to its creator, if carried out correctly, it can offer a huge number of benefits, among which are the accumulation of brown adipose tissue, fat loss, increase the immune system, better balance in hormones,improve sleep quality, improve sleep quality, production of endorphins and manages to improve our mood.
- Breathing: Breathing offers many benefits and very few people have it in mind, few are unaware of the great potential of breathing. With proper breathing, we will increase blood oxygen levels, give us more energy, stress levels would be reduced, and in addition, we would increase the immune response to pathogens.
- Commitment: With all exercises, it requires a certain commitment , because both require patience and dedication to master them completely.
To carry out this method, you do not need to live in a cold place, because its created one wants people to practice it based on their possibilities, that is, you can perform cold showers or get into a tub filled with cubes. Thanks to body temperature control, we can regain our inner power.
This method has become popular as an innovative and entertaining technique, one of the main pillars is cold therapy that gives many benefits.
Benefits provided by the Wim Hof method
Carrying out this Wim Hof method is perfect for increasing our health, both physically and mentally. On the other hand, we have to be aware that there are not many studies regarding these techniques, however, we can list a number of benefits so you can see in what aspects could be helped if you practice it.
- Stimulates the immune system.
- It serves as a natural anti-inflammatory.
- It is perfect for increasing the energy level.
- Improve sports performance
- It allows to promote the relief of some symptoms of fibromyalgia.
- Improves our mental health.
- Mitigate certain symptoms of depression.
- Increases concentration.
- Reduce our stress.
As we say, there is not much evidence about the Win Hof benefits, then we tell you what science says about this novel method.
Wim Hof Method
Many people have undergone scientific tests to check what these benefits are, they seek to unravel the possible real benefits. Scientists have focused on understanding how these breathing techniques can directly relate to brain activity, inflammation, and pain.
The study stated that participants who did these breathing techniques, both hyperventilating and retaining breathing, and then meditating and bathing in cold water, could directly affect the anti-inflammatory effect by the techniques performed.
For this reason, scientists consider that the method could be very useful in the treatment of inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. It was evident that those who regularly performed this method were less prone to flu symptoms and had better levels of adrenaline.
What risks does the practice of this method have?
Despite the scientific evidence supporting the method, there are potential risks for people with certain conditions. So in that regard, it is not recommended to be exposed to cold in the following cases:
- Pregnant women.
- Perform this method if you have anything in the stomach.
- Eat abundantly.
- Eating alcoholic beverages.
- If there is a history of respiratory diseases, strokesor blood pressure problems.
It is not recommended to do cold therapy if there is no knowledgeable someone who can monitor the practice, so it should never be practiced without a professional. In addition, what is advised is to first consult with your GP to tell you about the intentions to perform this method.
Keep in mind the following
This method is a new training proposal that is based on three essential pillars, breathing, cold, and compromise, however, scientific evidence is limited, although it can help improve the physical and mental health of the practitioner.
In any case, we must not forget that it should be practiced in a safe environment and always under the supervision of a professional, because we never want you to put yourself at risk.